Wednesday 4 March 2009

Comeuppance


Last week I had to do an observation at Wyedean just outside Chepstow. Started driving back to Gloucester at 8.30 pm, in the dark, and remembered there was no water in the windscreen washer bottle. Managed to squeeze few drops out, streaked the windscreen and hence was totally blinded anything came the other way. Had to keep pulling over to let the people behind me overtake as I to brake firmly everytime someone passed me.

Got to a garage and spent 20 minutes trying to locate the bonnet release catch - even had to consult the manual which is underheard of for me. Then needed to consult the manual again to see where to put the water - didn't want to get it wrong. Went into the garage with my last 50p and bought a Milky Way so I had 20p or the air and water machine only to be told that water was free, it was air you had to pay for. Back to the machine and off again on my journey. Oh and I forgot to mention that for the past few months I have only one windscreen wiper -the other one doesn't work. Luckily it's the one on the driver's side!

For the remainder of the rather long and lonely journey I pondered the foolishness of refusing to let George show me how to top up the washer bottle. I've always refused on the basis that he doesn't need to know how to use the washing machine. But how much more dangerous it is to travel at night with a dirty windscreen, than with dirty underpants. A lesson learned!
The pic is my car covered in snow. The quality is poor as I wasn't brave enough to go outside to take it so it's through the glass of the sitting room window.

No comments:

Post a Comment